Monday 12 October 2009

Mission Impossiblé: Changing Money

That's right. It is impossible. Not even possible if I were Tom Cruise.

First I went to the bank in Sablé, a logical first place I think.

The bank told me to go to the post office. The post office told me to go to another post office.

At which point I decided it might be easier to just go to Anger, a bigger town about 25 min away. I have Mondays off, and I wanted to see the town anyways and I was sure they would have money exchange stores like every other civilized place in the world.

Of course, I should have known better.

Monday is apparently another weekend day for banks so they are closed. As they are open Sat. morning, I guess they need time to recover.

But whatever, since apparently banks don't change money anyways.

So I went to the tourism office to ask where I could change money, but that didn't open until 2pm on a Monday (again, as I guess 1.5 days and 2.5 hour lunches aren't enough).

When it opened they told me I could change money there, for a ridiculous exchange rate. I was almost tempted too, but then they told me they could not change 50$ or 100$ dollar bills. Well, they could, but they would have to send the bills to Paris to verify their legitimateness.

So was I staying there a few days to pick up the bills when they were returned?

FML.

In the end I fucked it all to hell and just took out money from the debit machine, even though changing money would have saved me a bit on exhange rates and bank fees.

So now I have some American and Canadian cash on me, that I guess I will change as soon as I have time to go to the post office and wait a week for the bills to return from Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment