Monday 26 October 2009

Train Versus Plane

Contrary to Backpacker belief, I am a fan of the train, which is what I will be taking when I go to London.

Firstly, the train is MUCH friendlier on the environment. Truly, flying ruins the planet. Eurostar even automatically carbon neutralizes your trip.


Secondly, the train can be more expensive, but only marginally so once all other factors are added in. If you want a cheap flight the airport is going to be far away from the city. The buses to the city center are usually 10 euros, sometimes less sometimes more. That's an extra 20 euros at least to the cost of your flight. Also, on cheap airlines everything costs more.

Hungry? 3 Euros for a Coke and 6 Euros for a sandwich. Food in train stations are much cheaper then airports usually.

Thirdly, flying takes more time! Seriously it does. For instance, to fly to London I would have to get my ass to Paris, take a bus from Paris to an airport, be at the airport at least an hour before, fly for an hour, hope the plane is on time then take a bus to the city center. So the "1 hour" flight time to London really ends up being 6.

With the train I still have to take the train to Paris and then the train to London, but it drops me off right in the middle of the city. So it will still take me around 6 hours but I won't have to check in, get x-rayed, take a bus to the middle of nowhere.

Also if I lived in Paris it would be much shorter, its just that I have to get a stupid train from Sable to Paris to get on the train.

Fourth(ly?) there is more leg room on trains. Trains are lovely. There are windows, plenty of leg room and wide seats. You can even put your feet up if you get a 4 seater. Why would I be squished on an airplane for an hour when I can be comfortable for 2 hours?

Honestly I would rather spend an extra 20-50 euros on a train to save the planet and be more comfortable. Its such a short journey anyways. It would be different if the train ride was more then 5 hours though, in that case I would recommend flying, especially if you could get a cheap flight.

But for going to major cities, like from London to Paris or Paris to Amsterdam or even London to Amsterdam, you might as well train. It is so much less hassle and so much more enjoyable.

Fyi: Train From Paris to London is 2:15 min and Flying is 1 hour 15 min.

Fyi: London is one hour behind Paris so if you fly you arrive at the same time that you left. Neat, eh?

Fyi: Did I mention I'm retarded and my train from London-->Paris comes too late to catch a train back to Sable? I figure I might as well make the most of it and just sleep in Paris, spend the day wandering around and catch an evening train back to Sable.

No comments:

Post a Comment