Tuesday 17 November 2009

As "American" as Apple pie

Saturday was SR (Spanish Roommates) birthday, yay! And on Sunday when I was lazing around in my LuLulemons (of course my makeup and hair were done though, my mother trained me well-you never know who's coming over) when our door buzzed. BZZZZZZ.

And in walked our new French 17 year old friends bearing an apple pie with magic candles.

I'm sorry, let me repeat that.

In walked 17 year old boys, carrying a homemade apple pie with special candles that never blow out.

Oh the French! So sweet! It was for SR's birthday of course.

I have eaten lunch at 2 Teachers houses and the desert has been apple pie for both times. Its a different sort of apple pie than at home, the apples are usually from their grandfathers garden or some other organic source and the apples are sliced on top of the pie without a crust over that.



Comme Ca!

So I think apple pies are some sort of true French tradition that the Americans STOLE from the French.

Anyways I can't imagine Canadians doing that. Even in university the boys barely offered me a slice of pizza. Nevermind cooked me an apple pie! Not that these boys cooked me a pie, but I can even less imagine a Canadian cooking a Spanish guy a pie!

5 comments:

  1. hey! I found your blog through the assistant forum. I'm a senior in college and I'd like to apply for the 2010-2011 year. Not to be creepy, but is it possible to have your email so I could ask you some questions about the program? My email is priceec@gmail.com if you'd prefer not to write it publicly. -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since when are you a vegetarian???? I think your leek, potato, carrot ensembles sound delicious though! But I do NOT agree with your non-peeling, haha. Your blog just made me day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey D!

    Love the blog, truly great stuff! Keep at the budget and I'm sure things will work out in the end. Carrots really are good stuff.

    Your apple pie story reminded me of my three weeks living with a family in Nantes over the summer. On the last day I cooked for them: Philly Cheesesteaks, fries, and Apple pie for desert. The 20 year old daughter looked at the pie and asked me what it was... Shocked me that just a crust on the top made it so exotic to those silly Frenchies! Good luck to ya, D. And I'll definitely be reading in the future! Bon Courage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. -Kristen: I have been a veggie since forever!! (aka freshman year)Sometimes I wander though. Someday I will convince you to eat a whole Kiwi...

    -Thanks Ryan! I too hope it will work out, but am sure it will. If not, I can always unfreeze my credit card! Also, I have no idea what Philly cheesesteaks are, but sounds good! (unless it is cheese on steak in which case..umm..maybe not)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude - I think that's a 'flan' not a pie, which would be much more French, n'est pas?

    - Tiffany

    ReplyDelete