Saturday 14 November 2009

Rock Climbing

I went searching for this mythical gym that I keep hearing about, and my Spanish roommate told me that there was a small gym at school as well. So I find it beside the basketball courts and find a bunch of students playing volleyball, but no weight or cardio room. Then I see a door and push it open. That is where I discovered that the school has a rock climbing room!



A bunch of little kids are climbing it but I ask the guy with a computer who looks to be in charge if there is a time that I can come climb, and he says that there is a rock climbing club that meets Tues and Thurs.

He was also cute and spoke a bit of English. Possibly married. Better then lusting after an 18 year old student though, right?

It happened to be Thursday so I went back at 8 pm in my workout clothes and lo and behold there were adults climbing! It is only 56 Euros for a year to join and you have to buy some equipment, but the gym also has stuff for the first few times.

I have rock climbed before at random events, like camp and school and once with my friend Joanna in a sports store in Buffalo (shout out!) but I always wanted to get really "into" it.

In fact the other day I was just looking at the website of the alpine club of Canada and planning to join when I get back home. But this is perfect because

a. I will get a workout
b. I will meet people
c. It's a cool sport

Now, there is one guy there who speaks English because he spent 10 months in England, but no one else does. So we have to communicate with the little French I have and it's pretty funny. Especially with a sport in which you have to trust a stranger to keep you from falling to your death and smashing all the bones in your body. Ha. Ha.

Did I mention I am terrified of heights?

I think I'm a self-sadist.

The club leader, Carol, is super nice though and she taught me how to tie all the knots and some different ways to rock climb so that not all my weight is hanging on my hands.

There is also one semi-hot French man there but he didn't pay me one iota of attention and might possibly be gay. Not because he didn't pay any attention to me, but because he has one of those earrings and just kind of....I don't know I get a gay vibe, but we will see.


Again, crushing married and gay men is more legally acceptable then crushing on my students. Even if they are 18 and a foot taller than me.

Anyways, I woke up the next morning in SERIOUS forearm pain. I could barely clench my fists together.

Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it, 50 euros isn't a lot but it's more than the -14 euros I have in my bank account.

Maybe I can write a post-dated cheque for next month....

3 comments:

  1. Where did the 55 euros from last post go?

    I'm in a semi-similar situation, with around 200 euros to last me and some hefty expenses coming up... I hate money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I just realized I didn't comment on that last post but I've looked into envelope budgeting and I've decided that it's what I need to do as well. So here's to learning how to budget! Let's keep each other updated, k?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the 55 euros is for things like food, orientation in le mans, internet etc., but I may be able to use some of it for my sports endeavours.

    Just look as it as a major challenge!

    Yay yes, go envelope budgeting! updates for sure!

    ReplyDelete