Thursday 19 November 2009

Orientation #2

Yesterday was a second orientation in Le Mans.

Me and BR (British Roommate) woke up at 7 to be there for 9. Lo and behold there were young people! Speaking English! It was wonderful. I was so shocked and overjoyed by hearing my own language spoken by people my age I babbled incessently.

Not the best way to make new friends, but I was overwhelmed, I couldn't control myself!

There were a lot of cool people there including 2 Canadians! (Its extra exciting to meet Canadians, at least for someone patriotic like me)

AND if that isn't exciting enough, here is the real news.

Last orientation took place entirely in French. I had no idea whatsoever what they were talking about. This orientation also tool place entirely in French, but I had some sort of idea what they were talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The words made sense!!

Now, I didn't understand exactly what they were saying, and I certainly didn't catch all the nuances, but I could definitely understand the gist, if not precise directions.

That is definite improvement in a little over 6 weeks.

Day to Day it doesn't seem like I'm really improving, but its nice to know that at least if I'm bored out of my mind and want to kill myself, I'm learning something.

So they made us go around and tell them what lesson plans were working and our experience thus far.

Everyone spoke in French except for me.

I didn't major in French in university like everyone else and I wasn't going to fumble 20 min trying to speak when I could say what I had to say in 10 min. Which was basically that the kids are nice but they can't speak English for shit.


For break they brought in coffee and the head woman poured some for me, which was nice. But she stopped when the tiny plastic cup was half-way full.

"Ummm Madam, I'm going to need more of that. I'm Canadian, we drink full cups of coffee"

"ooo!" And she poured some more. "I was just making sure that there was enough for everyone"

oooops and there is me feeling like a selfish jackass.

Anyways we eventually broke for the 2 hour lunch and a bunch of people went to go get tickets for New Moon. I COULD have joined them if I LIVED in Le Mans, but I DON'T so I COULDN'T. Not feeling bitter about that at all.

I had brought a lunch, in my attempt to budget, and so did one other girl from New Zealand, making me feel like I wasn't the only nerdy one.

I don't have that much food, so my sandwich was 2 slices of brown bread (I finally bought bread), sliced Swiss Cheese and guacamole. Yes, Guacamole. Don't ask me why, I needed something to make the sandwich less dry and guacamole was the only thing I could find in my fridge. Plus, I needed to use it up before it went all moldy like my pesto did. Waste not, Want not!

This New Zealend girl is WAY better at budgeing than me. I need to learn some tips from her. For instance, she only spends 13 euros a week on groceries. That is crazy! I didn't even think that was possible. She is not emanciated or anything..

In Canada I would spend (an embarrassing) 75$ a week on groceries! And I'm not obese. (I don't think...I'm also not a size 00. Or even a size 4. OKAYYYYY, but I'm not sitting all my couch all day eating potato chips.)

After lunch we had to make lessons plans with videos or songs that we were given. That was surprisingly fun. My group got a song by Charlie Winston who "seduced France but is largely unknown in England" and he has really interesting songs and my new favourite artist.

After the orientation a group of people went to see New Moon, and I was left alone to shuffle back to my lonely and cold town.

Okay I actually stayed and did some browsing at HM. I was also really hungry, that Swiss cheese- guacamole sandwich did not hit the spot, so I grabbed a Kebab. For 5 euros. I KNOOOOOOOOWWWW I'M SOOOO WEAKKK.


For a so-called vegetarian on a budget I am doing a shitty job of it. But I was hungry. And my iron levels were low. And I was depressed knowing I had to go back to my town after spending the day with people my own age. So I gave in.

I am officially at -69 euros. Ugh. And when I was at HM I saw such cute things I wanted to buy. I really need a pair of this season leather riding boots. They go with everything.. And I wouldn't mind some converse sneakers as well, for those casual days. And some Uggs for those wintry-casual days.

Must. Stop. Thinking. About. Shopping.

Okaaaay going on www.nordstrums.com to fake-online shop to get rid of this craving.



* I would talk about the people that I met in gossipy detail but they might be reading this blog so I will refrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment