Saturday 7 November 2009

Pics From London!



This is me on Halloween. I won't tell you what my costume is, you will have to guess. I think it is hilarious, but I am easy to amuse. I realize now that those stripes are not doing me any favours though. I am standing beside a ubiquitous (did I use that word right?) telephone booth. Its adorable. I don't even know why people in London have cell phones, they should just make calls from these all day long. And wear Mad-Men-Style fedoras. G-d I want to live in an early 1960s movie.




This is the book that I am obsessed with reading. Though this picture is from London, from Waterstones in Oxford Circus, I finally bought it in Paris, at my second favourite bookstore in the world, Shakespeare and Company, which is across from the Notre Dame.






This is my friend Kat in front of Darwin, at the Museum of Natural History. I actually learned a lot while I was there! Also, last year in school I became really interested in evolution and natural selection so it was nice to see Darwin's ideas basically proven in this museum.




This is a Yemeon Warder at the Tower of London. If you have read Philippa Gregory books about the Plantanageta and Tudors (The Other Boylen Girl, The Virgin Queen, The White Princess etc.,), you will understand why I had to see this, never mind the 14 pound entrance fee. It was totally different then I imagined. I literally thought it was a tower, but it is really an enclosed compound (enclosed partly by an ancient Roman wall) with several different buildings, including one that Yeoman Warders live in. They have been the guardians of the tower for like, forever. All the executions happened in different places and each scaffold was built especially for that person. The places where they were executed is very small! Its just a smallish green patch of land, way smaller than my backyard. I guess since they were all aristocrat, they didn't want lots of spectators.

As opposed to the non-aristocrats who were hung, drawn and quartered in the streets for all of London to see. Gosh there are just so many benefits to being royalty.




This is from Henry's Blog, a book from the Tower of London gift shop that is from the very mouth of Henry VIII. Read it. It kind of makes me sad for this generation. But it also made me laugh.

2 comments:

  1. were you a stereotypical french person? were you a mime? were you a very stylish zebra?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I was trying to be a stereotypical French person! I wanted to bring a baugette but I figured it would get gross in the club

    ReplyDelete