Thursday 5 November 2009

Pasta for the Broke:Eating on a Budget:

So I blew all my money on vacation (will describe it in many later posts) and have no money left to buy groceries.

I looked at the meager offerings in my fridge, leftover from a week ago, and invented the Poor Person's Pasta!

1 Cup of Pasta
Half of red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 TBS of olive oil
Tomato paste from a tube
Butter
Swiss Cheese
Basil

I sauteed the onions and garlic and then squeezed out some tomato paste. It seemed really thick and sweet so I watered it down with a few splashed of cool tap water and stirred.

Then I shook some basil on it.

When the pasta I had been boiling was done, I strained it then added it to the pan and stirred it all together. I then added some butter and grated cheese, stirred and ate!

It is actually really good! I'm impressed by myself! And all from what I found in my fridge, since I really should use up all my food before buying more. Also I'm too tired to go grocery shopping.

1 comment:

  1. Hi D, I don't know if I've commented on your blog before, but I've been reading it for a while. Anyways, this food sounds delish, and I love your money saving tips! I'm planning on doing some of those overnight train trips, for sure!

    Kinzie, assistant in Rouen :)

    ReplyDelete