Wednesday 11 November 2009

Cheap Potage

I'm writing this as my my leek-carrot-potato soup is simmering.

I just took out 50 euros from the bank and the receipt said that I was NEGATIVE 14 euros. Fun! How I got to this dire state will be explained in the next post, after I check out my account online and figure out where I spend my money.

So I have a feeling I will be cooking this soup quite a bit this month.

i literally looked around the grocery store and thought What is the cheapest produce?

This search led me to carrots, potatoes and onions. You can buy kilograms of each of these for one or two euros! (This deserves an exclamation mark because I get excited about things like this)

1 kilo of carrots is 65 cents! That is ridiculously cheap.

So I basically plan to live off of those 3 basic foods. Want to follow my journey until my next paycheck?

I'm not some sort of huge carrot, potato and onion fan, I mean, I much prefer tomatoes and mushrooms and veggies like that, but it is always good to branch out and try new foods. At least that is what they told us in kindergarden.

I'm no Robert Fulgham, but those kindergarden teachers were pretty smart okay?

And don't worry, I also have some other stuff in my pantry including spices, canned beans and tomatoes, leeks that I bought on sale, pasta (39 cents for 500 grams if you buy Carrfour Discount label) and an almost-stale bag of chocolate croissants.


But lets get back to the 3 basics.

I figure that there are a bunch of different dishes that I can make with these.

I made leek-carrot-curry-couscous for lunch the other day.

I just sauteed the veggies, boiled the couscous and sprinkled on curry sauce. It took about 5 min and was good!

Today I used my fool-proof chop'n'drop method of cooking that I utilize, oh, for every single meal, and chopped up potatos, carrots, onions, leeks, garlic and threw it into a big pan with olive oil. Then I added some random spices including: salt, parsley, Thyme. We'll see how it tastes when its done, but it smells good!

I also often make oven-fries, which is really tough. I have to chop up potoatos then put them in the oven for 30 min at 250 degrees. I don't know if you guys will be able to do that. It takes skill. Sometimes I even drizzle olive oil on them.


N:b: No peeling! I never peel anything, all the nutrition is always in the peel. Even Kiwis, I eat the fuzzy part. Some people say that that is gross, but I went to camp and all the cool counsellors did it so, yea..

I am a vegetarian so it makes cooking easier (I think) and I also really like veggies, which is a plus.

My next recipe- since I never make batches, because I am a hungry girl and if I make enough for leftovers I inevitable end up eating it before I should- is this

Its curry-carrot-leek soup! So basically my 2 recipes together. Sweeet. I will continue to peruse great sites like www.allrecipes.com for things I can make. You can just type in the food that you have and a bunch of recipes will come up. Its great. Also, I have so much time on my hands and this is semi-productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment