Thursday 19 November 2009

Moving!



At the orientation yesterday I was struck by how vibrant Le Mans is.

I'm sure it only seems that way because I have been stuck in Sable for so long, but still.

I think I want to move there.

First of all, there are young people in Le Mans.
Young people that I now have met, thanks to orientation.

Second of all, there is shopping. HM, Zara, Sephora. When there are stores, it is easy to spend an otherwise boring afternoon browsing.

Thirdly, there are bars. Perfect way to spend an evening.

Fourthy, it is only 20-30 min away by train from Sable, with good connections so it wouldn't be too difficult to commute.

I just realized how unhappy and bored I am in Sable. I am a really social person. I don't ever want to live alone. I need people around me all the time. I get bored easily, if I don't feel stressed and I'm not frantically chugging coffee, I just dont' feel happy or fulfilled. Productivity is very important to me. I'm not French, I'll never be French and I'm happy being a work obsessed North American.

Soooo I want to move to Le Mans!

Its still a small town, in my opinion, there are 148 000 people, which is a nice number. Much more agreeable than 13, 500.

There are several drawbacks, however.

Firstly, it is more expensive. I would live in a Foyer, which I think is kind of like a residence for young, working people. I think it would be around 170 E/M, which really isn't too bad. I would also have to commute 4 times a week, but the government pays you back 50% of public transportation travel costs. (I know, right? Crazy? How does the French government afford that?)

Also, moving is a bitch and a hassle in general, especially since I am pretty settled in my flat right now, have decorated and gotten TV and all that.

But I just think my quality of life would improve immensely. Aka, I would not be ready to be admitted to a mental institution.

What do you guys think about this? Is it worth it? I would be moving either in december or in the New Year depending if the Foyer's have room.

Oh, I could also move to Anger, which has way better 'culture' according to the English Teachers. There is also an international university there, and it is the exact same distance away.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just got internet after nothing for almost a week (I hate Orange, btw), so I'm going through some old entries of my bloggy friends. Basically my thought is, if you are really miserable, it would totally be worth it. And maybe you could apply for the CAF? But you'd have to be super careful about money, since it's already tough without those extra costs. Our assistant budget certainly isn't luxurious, so you'd probably have to live a lot cheaper... But it might be worth it! Just my 2 centimes... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I hate Orange too! It took us a month to set up!

    Yea I am honestly just NOT cut out for small towns. I have no idea how to deal with it, and I feel like I have given it a reasnoable chance. But I am just SO much happier with young people around and a vibrant nightlife and shopping.

    I don't think anyone should get an award for being able to adapt to small town life-its just not for me.

    And I would DEF apply for CAF, theres not really a way I can move out without it. I think rent would be around 170-225 Euros WITH CAF and 450 without it.

    I mean it's not great, but it is for sure affordable.

    And I might not even move until next semester so I could even save up this month or whatever. We will see! I am writing e-mails right now to Foyers and planning to visit them on Monday.

    ReplyDelete