Monday 30 November 2009

Foyer Hunting: Le Mans

I went to Le Mans today to go foyer hunting.

In case I haven't explained what a foyer is, it is basically a dorm for young workers.
In fact, that is exactly what it is.
It even comes with a meal plan and shared showers.

This day went way better than the disasterous one in Anger. I bought a new umbrella to replace the one I smashed against the steel pole, but it didn't even rain that much.

There was a strike at the train station (Again or Still?) so I waited an extra hour before boarding. I found the place with minimal trouble after a little trip to the tourist office for a map.

Truth: I had been walking in circles for half an hour before I stumbled across the tourist office.

It was about 2:00 and the foyer lady told me to come back at 5 when the other office workers would be there, because apparently French people have decided to just, not work, at ALL during the day.

But no harm, so I went to go meet Kiwi-Girl who I had made plans with.
*Note the subtle introduction of a real, live, female, age appropriate female-friend

We did some browsing and walked around and then headed back to the foyer where she happens to live.

I think there are only 2 foyers in Le Mans so its not that big of a coincidence. I am certainly not stalking her, though I have been known for my stalkerish tendencies, like that time two weeks where I stalked the admin assistant to beg him to let me pay my rent.

The room is a pretty standard dorm room. Nothing too off-putting or special. The rent is very high, but the government heavily subsidizes it, so after all the paperwork, if I haven't yet died from licking envelopes or paper cuts, it should only be about 200 euro including all breakfasts and 16 meals a month.

They don't have wifi- that being something that exists only in developed countries and the bastion of developed countries, Mcdonalds- but they do have ethernet in the common room, which will have to do.

Frankly, it could have been a shithole and I still would have wanted to live there if only to be in a place that takes more then 7 min. to walk through....

Next: Why I don't want to live in Anger!

*I don't want to overburden you with an overly long post in case you decide you are done procrastinating.

2 comments:

  1. its not certain yet! read the latest post..they have to see if there is room for me?

    ReplyDelete