Saturday 28 November 2009

The Local Bar

British roommate has escaped to Nantes to visit his grandmother so Me and the Spanish roommate went to the local bar tonight.

It's actually a nice place. There are darts and pool tables and young French people.

Pretty exciting for Sable.

After I did the usual round of cheek kisses which took about 2 min (2 min of cheek kisses is a lot. I feel really awkward doing it. When there are 5 people, for example, you have to kiss all of them. That's 10 kisses. And everyone kind of crowds around you until you are done. I'm the only one who feels awkward about it though, so I try not to blush) a nice garcon bought me a drink (he also bought like 4 other people a drink- he was just nice).

It was ouzo with some sort of juice. Every time I drink ouzo I think of that time in Greece when I was 18 and it got poured down my throat and then ceramic plates were smashed over my head. Needless to say, ouzo gets me in party mode!

I tried to ask if there was any weed without sounding sketchy, but didn't manage to snuff out any leads. I guess smuggling from 'dam is the only way to go.

The best thing about going to these local bars is that it rapidly improves my French and forces me to converse in it.

Also, PROGRESS... my French language goal for the year is to be able to watch a movie or tv show in French and understand it, and when I watched Lost in Translation tonight in French, I could totally understand a significant amount of words. It is starting to sound less blah blah blah blah and more sensical.




K so I just looked up "sensical" in the dictionary and it is not an entry. Maybe learning French is regressing my English?

1 comment:

  1. I don't even know if the town I actually live in even HAS a local bar. haha. I mean, there's 1, but I've never seen anyone in it under the age of 50. Luckily I live near a city!

    ReplyDelete